Give them a “Safe” Place to Hang Out
Designate a place where your pets can go off and retreat to and feel comfortable if the holiday festivities get to be too much for them. This is especially important if have an excitable and nervous type of pet. Be sure they have fresh water and a safe place to cuddle up away from all the noise.
There are some dogs who have been known to tear apart their toys and swallow even the pieces! A toy stuck in their stomach or throat can be really bad news and possibly fatal. Be sure that you get them toys that are basically indestructible. Cats always love long, stringy things, but the most risky toys for cats are ribbon, yarn, and anything with small parts that can get stuck in their intestines.
Leave the Alcohol to the Adults!
If you’re celebration involves cocktails, be sure to keep them out of reach of any of your thirsty pets. The intake of alcohol into your pet’s system could cause them to become weak, ill, or even go into a coma. This could result in death from respiratory failure.
Put all of the Medications Away
If you will be having houseguests, make sure to let them know to keep any of their medications out of reach of your pets. Your guests may not realize their potential danger to your pet or that your pet would even think about taking their medication, but they can get into it. So keep it out of reach of your pets!
Anchor the Christmas Tree Securely!
Be sure that your Christmas tree is anchored securely. You never know when a pet might see something that catches their eye and will try to reach for it and knock over the tree. Make sure they don’t drink the water from the tree too. Water that stands still contains bacteria and could cause all sorts illnesses if your pet drinks it.
Get Rid of the Mistletoe & Holly
If a pet swallows Holly, it can suffer nausea, diarrhea and maybe even vomiting, which definitely won’t be fun for you either! Mistletoe in your pet’s system can cause gastrointestinal and cardiovascular problems. Let’s not forget about what lilies like poinsettas can do to cats! We are talking kidney failure here! So choose the silk or plastic variety or any holiday plants that are pet safe.
Don’t Leave YOUR Treats Within Reach!
Most of you probably know not to feed your pet chocolate or anything sweetened with xylitol, but do not underestimate their cunning ability to get to what they see as a great treat! Be sure that sure unattended food is put up very high or put away. Clean up all leftovers as soon as you’re finished. Also, have guests put their coats, hats & purses (where gum and candy could be hiding) in your spare bedroom with a CLOSED door.
Watch Out Tails in the Candles!
Many of us love to light candles as we enjoy the holiday celebrations. This is a tradition in most households, but if they are left unattended, your pets could knock them over or catch their tails on fire! Put candles in a safe candle holder, and if you leave the room, put them out!
Keep all Wires, Batteries & Ornaments Out of Reach
Wires used for holiday lights can deliver a potentially lethal electric shock to your dog or cat. Punctured batteries can burn their esophagus, and shards of broken ornaments could cause damage to their mouth.
Help your Pet to Enjoy New Years Too
As you’re celebrating the beginning of a new year – remember that confetti can get lodged in a cat’s intestines. Another thing to watch for is that noisy poppers can terrify some pets.
Thank you for reading this blog and remember your best little friends and enjoy your holidays!
Have a Happy New Year!
Jeff A. Schmidt
Owner, Dog-gone Sauce Company